Students must have:
- Taken and secured a grade of an 'A' in SDS 380C Statistical Methods I
- Taken one or more courses equivalent to the prerequisite course or taken SDS 380C without securing an 'A' + taken and passed the Prerequisite Exam administered by the Portfolio Committee.
Choose two electives from the current list of approved electives.
To ensure courses taken for the portfolio are interdisciplinary in nature, at least one of the two elective courses chosen must meet one of the following criteria:
- The elective is a SDS course (if cross-listed, it must be with a department other than the student's home department), or
- The elective is an approved elective course from outside the student’s home department, or
- The elective is in the student's department but outside the student's area (e.g., Counseling Psychology and Quantitative Methods are two separate areas, both within the Educational Psychology Department).
Under the supervision of a portfolio faculty supervisor, the student must successfully complete a research project as part of a 3-credit independent study course that is focused on applying advanced statistical modeling techniques to the student's research area of interest.
The independent study should be conducted after all other coursework is complete or concurrently with the last program course. Enrollment in SDS 389R (or an SDS equivalent) is non-negotiable.
Any qualified UT faculty member can be the supervisor. All students must present their final projects at the Portfolio Program's end-of-semester colloquium.
For more information and to register for the SDS research course, download the Research Registration Form.
The deadline to submit the Research Registration Form is one week prior to the first class day of the semester you will be working on the project. Once approved, we will register you in SDS 389R under your faculty supervisor.
Students completing their research project should use the official cover page template:
For additional information, email Dr. Bindu Viswanathan at email@example.com.